Oh I love a sauna! But it has to be of the Infrared variety.
I am not a fan of the steam sauna as I find them hard to breathe in. An infrared sauna gives you the heat without all the steam and humidity. It warms you up from the inside out and therein lies all the health benefits. Let me explain….
Infrared saunas use light waves to create heat. A traditional sauna uses heat (usually steam) to warm the air which then warms your body. An Infrared sauna warms the body without warming the air around you. It’s amazing and oh so relaxing. The infrared waves are perfectly safe (they are not like microwaves or anything!) and in fact, they are more than just safe, they are extremely beneficial to all the cells in your body.
me getting my sweat on!
The appeal for me is a ‘relaxing heat’ that doesn’t leave me breathless and I look forward to my sauna time every week as part of my health regime. Want to hear what a 30 minute session does for my health? Read on…
My sacred sauna space!
1) Detoxification. The greatest benefit for me is the sweating! I don’t sweat much at all, not even in Summer and have never had to even wear a deodorant. This is not a good thing. Sweating out toxins is crucial to the health of your lymphatic system, immune system and basically the health of every cell in your body. We accumulate waste and toxins on a daily basis and we release via our bowel movements, urine, breath and skin. So to get a good sweat going is always like a mini cleanse. Yes, exercise is another great way to get that sweat up but sometimes a deeper sweat/cleanse is needed and this is what a sauna will give you. This is where the Infrared sauna goes above and beyond in the art of sweating because the Far Infrared frequency actually matches the frequency of the water in our cells. This causes toxins to be released into the blood stream and excreted through the sweat.
“Studies have shown that the sweat of people using a conventional sauna was found to be 95-97% water while the sweat of people using infrared saunas was 80-85% water with the 15-20% non-water component being fat soluble toxins, heavy metals such as mercury, aluminium, sulphuric acid, ammonia and uric acid. These sorts of toxins are not found in the seat from normal exercise.”
2) Relaxation. Oh my goodness, this type of heat totally relaxes me…because infrared heat is also known as a ‘soft heat’, the most immediate benefit is a feeling of extreme relaxation. As a mum to two little ones that runs a business and household, that is quite amazing for me to achieve in such a short time. The health benefits of relaxing the nervous system and lowering adrenalin and cortisol levels is extreme. Every single part of your body benefits from relaxation.
You can even listen to some relaxing tunes in your sauna!
3) Weight Loss. Not everyone will need this benefit but I certainly do! You actually burn 600 calories in a 30 minute session by sitting and relaxing! Not bad hey? This is because the heat is causing your core body temperature to rise and the body’s natural response is to lower that core temperature and heart rate (just like it does when you exercise). The calories being burnt are just due to this effect of the body working harder – this is how we raise our metabolism which is another reason why exercise is so important. But yep, this is like passive exercise!
4) Increased Circulation and Pain relief. My neck, back and shoulders get quite tight and sore sitting at a computer for a lot of the day and the increased blood flow and warmth to all areas of my body during a 30 minute session keeps me pain free with much more relaxed muscles. Areas of my body that might have been a bit stagnant with blood flow, get a good increase which again helps with toxin removal. It will also help with muscle recovery or any pain and inflammation after exercise or injuries.
5) It is so wonderful for your skin! You are unblocking pores and sweating surface toxins and bacteria from your skin so your skin gets softer, smoother, clearer and has a bit of a glow for days afterwards.
My ideal temperature but it can be set to any desired temperature depending on your comfort levels
6) Immune Boosting.This type of heat is also fabulous for boosting your immunity as the raising of your core temperature simulates a fever or what is known as an ‘artificial fever’. This produces more white blood cells, particularly the ones that are in charge of mopping up any virus, bacteria and toxins in our system and removing them into our lymph fluid so they can then be excreted from the body.
So they are the main reasons why I rave about Infrared Therapy and encourage anyone to give it a go as I know they will be hooked! I don’t advise it during pregnancy or if you have extremely high blood pressure. Most disease states will benefit from this type of therapy though so anyone who suffers from poor liver health, digestive disturbance, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, thyroid disease, Candida overgrowth, arthritis, any inflammation, lowered immunity, eczema, psoriasis, depression, anxiety and high stress levels will find they feel the benefits.
You can buy home units and really get the benefits on a daily basis (I aim to one day!) or you can google Infrared saunas in your area. I go once a week for 30 minutes but if I had more time, I would go 2-3 times a week which would be extremely beneficial. I’m still getting a lot of benefits even at a weekly visit though. My local infrared sauna is at Hypoxi Bulimba and I had to give them a quick shout out for letting me take some photos and for being lovely people! (Just have to quickly mention that this is not a sponsored or paid post in any capacity)
So do some research in your area and give it a go! Let me know in the comments if you are already a fan and have a great place you go to in your area, or if you will be trying an infrared sauna soon!
Yours in Health,